Outmere’s A to Z of Direct Mail: L – M
Following on from last week’s blog which gave you our G – J of Direct Mail, here’s the next instalment. Letters L – M.
L is for Laser Printing, Layout and Leads:
- Laser printing is a high quality printing method which prints directly from a computer on to paper or labels. Laser printing can be in colour or black. Of course, at Outmere, we can do both.
- Layout is the arrangement of headlines, body copy and pictures or graphics on a page and helps give your direct mail campaign impact.
- Leads are what you want your Direct Mail campaign to generate. Every business, small or big, needs new leads to expand.
L is also for Letterhead, List cleansing and Loose inserts:
- Your letterhead is the paper printed with your company details including address and logo. Lots of campaigns we do contain our clients letterhead, onto which we print the recipients’ name and address
- List cleansing is the process of removing, updating and correcting the data on a list.
- Loose Inserts are promotional leaflets or postcards placed inside newspapers and magazines before they are distributed.
M is for Machineable wallet, Machine or Manual Enclosing and Mailshot:
- A machineable wallet is an envelope that is gummed on the long edge and can go through a machine.
- Machine enclosing is the process of putting inserts into an envelope by machine rather than hand. At Outmere we have lots of machines that can do this
- Manual enclosing is for complicated campaigns where our folding and inserting machines aren’t up to it. For this sort of job we have a team of workers waiting to give your mailing the TLC it deserves.
- A Mailshot is a piece of printed advertising sent through the post and personally addressed.
M is also for MPS and Merge and Purge:
- Mailing Preference Service (MPS) is a service which registers the name and addresses of people who do not want to receive unsolicited mail. Before a mailing list is used, we will cross reference it with the MPS so those people can be removed and we won’t upset them!
- Merge and Purge is the term used for combining multiple lists of names and addresses and removing duplicates.
Come back next week to check out N-P, but in the meantime, if you think we can help with your next Direct Marketing campaign, don’t hesitate to get in touch.